Thursday, June 22, 2006

Awesome, Dude

I fear that our best, really powerful words are being misused so much, they're becoming meaningless. We sprinkle our conversation with superlatives such as "awesome" and "amazing" like too much salt, until everthing tastes the same. To my way of thinking, the majestic Rocky Mountains are awesome. A space shuttle lifting off into the blue is awesome. And "amazing"? Amazing is when a magician makes an elephant disappear. Amazing is when God forgives us each and every time we make mistakes, and never stops loving us. Your tattooed boyfriend who calls everyone "Dude" is not amazing. I hear it all the time. "Oh Justin? He's amazing." So what's my point? I don't know, I just feel like we're losing the power of language. Myself included. Okay, I'm older, so instead of "awesome", it's "cool". I admit it. So today, I'm going to try and do better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi!

I'm in my mid 50's....late mid 50's. No, wait. Ya, that's right. *senior moment there for a sec* And all you typed in your blog entries from the beginning, I can so relate! In fact, you may enjoy visiting my blog at times, 'cause I have a lot of memories to share!

Happy days!