Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Say "Cheese"

I was looking through my oldest photo album yesterday, the one my mom actually started for me when I was just a wee lass.  (Okay, I'm not really Irish.)  Anyway, there, tucked in the back, were all the 8X10 class photos from kindergarten through sixth grade.  I've glanced through these occasionally over the years, amazed at how many kids' names I still remember, and chuckling over the GLASSES we wore. 

Anyway, my favorite is the kindergarten class picture.  For some ill-conceived reason, someone decided the picture should be taken outdoors on the playground.  Bright sunlight. And anyone who's ever taken a photograph on any camera knows that the photographer stands with his back to the sun, leaving the subjects to directly face the sun and try to smile while squinting and frying their retinas.  Add a slight breeze to ruffle the hair a bit, and you've got a recipe for photographic failure. 

Now, here's my favorite part;  when the photographer says "Say cheese", as he clearly did right before this picture was snapped, he's SUPPOSED to capture the "ee" part of the word, not the "CH" part of the word.
Guess nobody told him that.  So, here is the photo.  (You can click on it and it should come up in a separate window where you can really appreciate it.) 

And by the way, I count no less than nine missing teeth among us.

Ready?

Here we go....

Say CHeese!!!





(Okay, that's me top left.) 

- - - 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Weren't you blessed to begin your schooling in a lovely, rural setting with a small class of kids, and a sweet-looking, grand-motherly teacher? Sweet!
Love, Your Wally

Anonymous said...

Ah, the memories. They truly were the good old days, weren't they? Sometimes I wish life was still in black and white.

Marcy said...

Amen to that!