Friday, July 27, 2012

Yoga

I started taking yoga classes a couple of months ago up in New York state with a friend who had been going for a few years.  Excuse me, I think they say yoga practice.  I'm still practicing, that's for sure.  Anyway, I went the first time just to be polite, fully expecting to hate it.  Imagine my surprise when I actually liked it.  I think it was kind of a modified version of yoga, and it felt good. So I went twice a week for about three weeks.  Then I came back down here to Florida a couple weeks ago, and found that I missed it  So I get this bright idea......I know that the local Senior Friendship Center has all kinds of classes, and activities and stuff so I went to their web site and found out that sure enough, they have a yoga class once a week.  And it's only three dollars!  Yes!  Plus, I figured it was best to find a senior version of yoga since I'm still pretty new and not too flexible and still learning the 'downward facing dog'.  And after all, I am 60 now, so I qualify for the Senior Friendship Center.  So I went this morning.

The instructor is 80 and way more nimble than me.   Two of the ladies were in their  nineties. (I'm not kidding.)  And they were way more nimble than me. I left the room with my legs shaking and my hips screaming at me.  As I waited for the elevator to carry me back down to the main floor, I watched as the two 90-year-olds took the stairs.

I'm gonna go again next week.  These people have inspired me.  I have a whole new outlook.....'Hey, I'm ONLY 60!"  But don't expect me to take the stairs.

No comments: