Friday, April 22, 2011

My Mother's Shaver

I've never been a razor person when it comes to shaving my legs.  My mother always used an electric shaver, so that's what I did too when I began to sprout leg hair in the mid-sixties.  In fact, I used hers until I moved out and went to college.  Since then I've had several shavers that were adequate for keeping my legs sufficiently mowed,  but none were ever quite as good as Mom's Lady Remington.  Whenever I would come home for a visit, I'd always grab Mom's shaver out of the dresser drawer where it lived and indulge in a really close, smooth shave. 

After my mother died in 1991, sure enough, I found my old friend, Lady Remington, still in the same dresser drawer, still in the original box, and still fully operational.  No one objected when I claimed it for myself.  You guessed it.   I'm still using it. 

Since it's still in its original 1960's box, the instruction book is also still there, along with the little brush that Mom taught me to clean it with after every use.  The shaver still lives in its original container, inside the original cardboard box.  You can see its clever design in the photo.  (Yes, I just took that photo yesterday.)  The top swivels away to reveal the first chamber with electrical cord and brush, then that chamber swivels away to reveal the Lady Remington herself nestled in the bottom chamber.  Genius.  All the swivels still work, of course.  I also mentioned that the instruction manual is still in the box with it, albeit crumpled a bit.  I couldn't resist showing you the pages instructing you how to shave first your legs, then your armpits.  Glad they cleared that up.


You know you can't even find a woman's shaver with an electrical cord anymore?  And I love the little switches on either side of the shaver that change the heads from "legs" to "arms" position.  The detail!
And I believe it was actually made in the USA.  I know the booklet says "printed in the USA" on the back.  Even that's unusual these days.   (Most instruction manuals nowadays have instructions like "you must to attach tab in shlot in to thee back". Probably not printed in the USA.)

Anyway, I'm proud to still be using my Mom's Lady Remington.  It's still the best shaver ever.  I'd put it up against a stone cold razor any day.  Who wants to challenge me?  Anyone?

---

No comments: